Monday 17 May 2010

This week, I will be mostly brewing with...

The dual purpose Motueka hops of New Zealand are noted to be relatives of the noble Saaz type hop variety, but higher in alpha acid (or bittering potential) with a New Zealand twist. Goes great in pilsner style lager apparently but I will be using them alongside US Centennial hops in my US style Amber ale on Wednesday. This variety has also been blogged about here.

I have to admit compared to some bloggers I'm no hop head. Sure I enjoy vibrant fresh hop bombs like Deschutes hop trip (wet hopped), Stone IPA and Thornbridge Jaipur being some of my favourites. When it gets to some double or triple IPAs I shy off a bit. Acceptable in small quantities but the challenging factor gets a bit too much. But this relatively new Motueka variety sounds intriguing. If this project is a success I may put this variety amongst my favourites; Bramling Cross, Goldings, Progress, Willamette and Centennial  (OK, mainly boring old school varieties). I shall be brewing as much as possible in the next month or so. Me and my wife Helen are moving house, and my birthday barbecue is under five weeks away. That's two house parties so I need to be prepared.



Another thing that happened this week was the discovery of how well my very own Helen's beer went with Cheesy turkey meatloaf, prepared by the woman herself. This was probably the first decent beer and food pairing I have had where the beer was home brewed. I also found this beer to go with Parlick fell cheese. Like the beer, Helen is good with food.

4 comments:

Mark said...

Big fan of Motueka over here. Used in large quantities they're like a tropical fruit punch bowl.

Chunk.

Leigh said...

Oh yeah - big fan of these babies. Acorn's Motueka was gorgeous- much prefer these to Nelsons or Green Bullet so far.

pdtnc said...

I shall be trying the same hops in a brew soon :) Hope yours turns out well :)

Rob said...

Cheers folks, I will let you know how it goes.