Sunday 19 December 2010

The seventh beer of Christmas

Anchor 'Our Special Ale' 2010


Every year as the festive season approaches Anchor (one of the grand fathers of US craft brewing scene) of San Francisco release a different 'Our special ale' and every year it's slightly different from the last. I seem to remember the first time I tried one was the 2007 batch, and it was outstanding. The few annual releases since then have been OK, but not brilliant.

But anyway I'm glad I have a couple of bottles of this one as it sure is delicious. The nose hits you with upfront Christmas spices and gingerbread. And these follow onto the almost syrupy sweet but light gingery palate of complex cinnamon and Christmas spice notes. I can't help thinking that this would go great with ginger cake, or similar and as far as Christmas beers go it's pretty good. My advice would be stock up now while it's still around.

No comments: